Saturday, February 20, 2016

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry



You know the saying "Eat, drink, and be merry"? Did you know that it is from the bible? Did you know that the next line is "For tomorrow we will die" (Is 22:13). I knew those things but I learned something new about that passage tonight.

In Isaiah 22 God is talking about the defenses that the Israelites put up around their city, knowing that their old defenses, and probably their new ones were not good enough to save them.

So they decided to have a party.

This is the part that blows my mind. They really thought they were going to die. They were sure that they were going to die.

And they decided to eat and drink and engage in revelry.

God had asked them to weep and wail, to tear out their hair and to put on sack cloth (vs 12). If they had done as God asked maybe they wouldn't have died tomorrow.

God was begging them to turn to him. But that still didn't change their minds or actions.

In verse 8-11 God describes the defenses that they had built up and then says "but you did not look to the One who made it, or have regard for the One who planned it long ago."

God made everything. Including the things that I am hiding behind or building up to defend me. I need to look to the maker of these things for my true defense.

I'm sorry God for looking to the things you have made, instead of looking to you for defense. Please help me remember to always look to you. Thank you for being there for me always! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! But please be nice, and please no spam. I do monitor every comment, if you are mean or spamming me it will not get published, so please do not bother writing it. Otherwise comment away! Can not wait to have a conversation with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...