Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How to write a wedding toast



Writing a toast for a wedding is hard.

Originally I wasn't going to be giving a toast for my sister's wedding. She had my other sister and I as co-maids of honor and she had wanted our other sister to give the toast. I wasn't offended (I was a little relieved not to have to write one :). But her husband (who had two best men) wanted both his best men to give a toast (or maybe they both wanted to give one, I don't remember) so she asked me to give one as well. Since there were going to be 4 toasts I knew I should keep it short. But other than that I didn't really have any idea of how to write a toast.

So I did what I normally do. I researched. I found some tips here, here, here, and here. (You can find those and a few other Maid of Honor tips Matron/Maid of Honor pinterest board). All of those have great advice for how to write a toast. I won't repeat everything that they said, I will simply share how I wrote my toast.

At least one of the posts said that I could use a quote, so I set about finding a quote that I liked. Though there were many many quotes about love, weddings, marriage and such, there were very few that I liked or that fit with anything that I might say about my sister, her husband, or their relationship.

But when I found this quote an inspiration struck! The quote was by Mignon McLaughlin who said "A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, and always with the same person." (I think I found it here).

The inspiration that I had was to share the reasons that I loved my sister. And then after thinking about that for a while I realized that it would be even more meaningful if I included reasons why several people loved her. So I questioned several of our family and her friends and asked what they loved about her.


Here is the toast that I came up with (edited to take out names of course :)





Hi, my name is [me], I am [bride]’s sister. I am so honored to be here today standing up to support [bride] and [groom] as they start their new life as a married couple!

Mignon McLaughlin said "A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, and always with the same person."

[groom], I know that you have found many reasons to love [bride] and I know that you will find many more to fall in love with over the years. I just wanted to share some of the reasons that we love [bride]

There is just so much to love about [bride]. She is so much fun, it is rarely boring with her. She is loyal, she is a friend for life. She is up for anything. She is great to talk to.

These are just a few reasons that I love [bride], but I am not the only one who loves her. I took a small poll of some of [bride]’s close friends and family and these were the reasons that they gave.

[Aunt] said her adventurous spirit and beautiful smile

[Mom] said her diligence and sensitivity in her work.

[Her friend] said when someone in her life is interested in something she doesn’t care for; she makes an effort to like it, or at least to understand what makes it likeable

[Aunt] said she couldn’t give just one reason ... [bride] is beautiful in so many ways!

[Her friend] said No matter the miles between you, you still know your friendship is rock solid. And on top of that it's effortless

[Cousin] said our mutual obsession of coffee makes me smile

[Aunt] said her optimistic love for life and people!

[Her friend] said [bride] is one of those people who is always up for just about anything, and you know you will have a lot of fun!

[Sister] said I love that I can talk to her about anything and she will listen

These are just a few reasons that we who have known [bride] love her, there are many many more. I hope you spend the rest of your lives finding reasons to love each other, and that you fall in love with each other as many times as you can!

Let’s drink to [groom] and [bride]!


I personally loved my toast, my sister loved it too, and it was well received by all. I took it printed out to read because I knew that there was no way I could remember all of that without having it written in front of me.



What about you? Have you ever written a wedding toast? How did you plan yours out?



Linked Up To:
The Frugal Girls, The Thriftiness Miss, The Foley Fam, Fun-a-Day!, Blissful and Domestic, While He Was Napping,

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful toast! You wrote it so well, no wonder it was so well received.
    My daughter gets married next year, I may have to steal some of your idea. I'll be checking out these links, also my husband's brother is getting married this year, and I know he'll want to say something. I'm pinning this, thank you.

    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    Yes, please feel free to use the idea! I hope your toast comes out just as beautiful!
    Subject: Re: New comment posted on Domestic Randomness: How to write a wedding toast

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sister is getting married next Saturday & I have been wracking my brain and searching the web for help with writing the perfect toast. I LOVE this idea! Do you know that feeling, in your stomach, when youve chosen the perfect greeting card? Thats how I felt reading your speech! If its ok, i'd like to use it, edited of course and with my own spin on it. My Sister will melt with emotion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I can help you! Yes of course you can use this idea :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! But please be nice, and please no spam. I do monitor every comment, if you are mean or spamming me it will not get published, so please do not bother writing it. Otherwise comment away! Can not wait to have a conversation with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...