Sunday, November 15, 2020

Cooking Lessons with the Kids

 


I decided to start cooking lessons with the kids. It is too overwhelming to me to have the kids help with meals every day. 

1. There are too many of them, I get buried alive sometimes lol 🙂. 
2. Cooking is something that I like to just put on a show or listen to a book and get work done. I don’t want to stop to ask someone to do something or teach someone how to do something. I just want to do it and get it done. 

I do cooking two ways:
1. Get food on the table. This is your basic, we need to eat, so I have to make it. 
2. Cook for enjoyment, try a new recipe bake several versions to see which is best, make something that takes more work, etc. Neither of those I want help with from the kids.

But I do think it is important to teach the kids to cook. I think everyone needs to know how to cook. And they enjoy cooking I want to encourage that. But I didn’t want to cook with everyone at once. As I said it’s overwhelming. 

Introducing Cooking Class!

I got a cook book that is kid friendly and fits our dietary restrictions (gluten free, dairy free, soy free,). I checked it out from the library. So far I’m loving it.

The cookbook we are using is Eat Like a Dinosaur, it is a kids Paleo cookbook. I am planning to try The Paleo Kids Cookbook next. But any cookbook that works for your family would work for this

I do 1 kid per week. They get to pick 1 main dish, 1 side dish/vegetable, 1 snack, and 1 dessert. We cook those together. 

I have them pick out their recipes the week before so I have time to get the ingredients. 

I am learning how to teach something I automatically do. 

The kids are enjoying the one on one time and enjoying trying new recipes. It is a Win!

Here is what D and I cooked together. He picked hissing chicken, sweet potato fries, tropical smoothie, deviled eggs and banana chocolate chip muffins (last two not pictured)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say! But please be nice, and please no spam. I do monitor every comment, if you are mean or spamming me it will not get published, so please do not bother writing it. Otherwise comment away! Can not wait to have a conversation with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...